Wednesday, September 13, 2017

This Week’s Word & Thought: Purpose

I have gone through an enormous amount of word play trying to come up with the right one to convey the thoughts I want to share with you.  It is amazingly difficult to find just the right one.  I believe I did so with the word Purpose.

Let’s focus on the definition of purpose as a noun in this post.

pur·pose (noun):  the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.
synonyms:  motive, motivation, grounds, cause, occasion, reason, point, basis, justification

With that in mind, I did some research on famous uses of the word purpose (or a synonum) as a noun.  Here are some of the quotes more on point to my thoughts.

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” –  Dalai Lama

“The thing to do, it seems to me, is to prepare yourself so you can be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud. Somebody who may not look like you. May not call God the same name you call God - if they call God at all. I may not dance your dances or speak your language. But be a blessing to somebody. That's what I think.” – Maya Angelou

“Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.” – John F. Kennedy

“The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.” – Pablo Picasso

I have often puzzled my purpose.  My reason for being.  I don’t believe in fate or predestination.  I believe in a whole lot of factors; events, genetics, history, etc., that shape who we become.  I also believe our purpose changes over time for many of us due to where we are at in life.  A balance of what we have learned and our years.  At this point in my life, my purpose is focusing on enjoying the beauty that is humanity.  In studying and researching art, music, written word, history and the heroes of the past, and most importantly, heroes of today.  Not necessarily famous, but someone who connects you with humanity.

I must work to look past events of recent and realize that is not the majority, but really just focus placed on the sensational.  In a time where we keep hearing about the rise of extremists who believe in genocide and segregation based on either religion, race, sexuality, or gender identity, I say again, not the majority of people.

I believe in the innate goodness of humanity.  That humankind has an amazing ability to learn, grow, help, and love.  But, to counter that which is negative, our purpose must be, in our own and unique individual way, to grow this believe in humankind.  To focus on compassion, empathy, generosity of not just material items, but generosity of the spirit.

“The thing to do, it seems to me, is to prepare yourself so you can be a rainbow in somebody else’s cloud.”

Namaste,


Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment