Tuesday, June 13, 2017

This Week's Word & Thought: Reflection

I recently read an article and watched a video of a young man coming out to his family and friends.  I believe it was intended more private than public; however, it was so moving it went viral, which led to the article.  Here is the article on the young man as well as the video. 


It helped drive home to me the importance of self-acceptance and love as well as causing me a great deal of reflection.  Reflection on this version of me and how I got here.  This version I am comfortable with although not completely satisfied, wish it was a few years younger, but hey, wisdom has a price.  Hopefully we never become so complacent or egocentric that we stop growing and evolving as a person.

The most important thought in my reflection was how multiple times during my life, I had to be my own support system, especially growing up in a home where violence was the norm and not the exception or when I came out as a gay man. I learned to know it was ok to be me even at times when I thought I must be the worst human being on earth.  Learning to forgive those who hurt me or learning to understand that I was not defective and allowing myself to just be me which in turn has allowed many beautiful and loving people into my life.

I say to anyone out there who has dealt with violence, bigotry, or hatred, “Hang on!”  It does get better.  Know that there is always someone who will give you a hug or listen if you need a shoulder to cry on or be still and just listen.  Get rid of the haters, even if family or professed friends.  Reach out to those who consistently reach out to you.  Be the best version of you that you can and let know one tear you down.  Don’t dwell on what’s in the past and don’t dwell on what if.  Focus on the here and now, reflect on who you are and fight to be you!

Over 500 years ago, a very wise man, Leonardo da Vinci, wrote this:

“I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection.  ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.” – Leonardo da Vinci

Now, go kick some ass and let your freak flag fly!  Just be you.

Namaste,
Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment