Tuesday, March 7, 2017

This Week's Word & Thought: Friendship

At this stage in my life, I have come to appreciate more than ever the friends in my life.  Many I have known for years as I have now lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for almost 22 years (next month is my 22nd anniversary in the bay area).  The love and joy as well as the sorrow and trying times together are what bond you. 

We have traveled together, eaten together, drank together (at times too much!), maybe had a bit of herbal enjoyment together, and holidays together.  We have also mourned together, been a mess together, shared highs and lows together, celebrated unions and babies together, and we been angry together.  But, most of all, we have grown together.

My friends include family as well as those I consider my family.  Friends are not defined by blood, but by love.  Every chance that I can grow a new friendship or renew an old friendship is exciting to me.  I have the chance to learn something new or to experience life through the thoughts of another.  An opportunity to appreciate the beauty and diversity of life through others.

But with this comes great responsibility to those friends.  A true friend is there in the difficult times and not just the good times.  They are the ones to first offer you help.  I have been someone offered many great gifts from my beautiful friends.  This includes everything from financial to shared living to extravagant gifts to absolute acceptance and love for who I am.  I hope to always give back my devotion and love to my friends.  To be there when needed and to enjoy the good times with them as well.  Friends make your life a new and exciting adventure each day and for that I thank you.


Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity.”  - Khalil Gibran



Some History for Khalil Gibran from Wikipedia:

Kahlil Gibran, sometimes spelled Khalil; full Arabic name Gibran Khalil Gibran, Arabic: جبران خليل جبران‎‎ Born January 6, 1883 and died April 10, 1931.  He was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer of the New York Pen League. Gibran was born in the town of Bsharri in the Mount Lebanon Mutasarrifate, Ottoman Empire (north of modern-day Lebanon), to Khalil Gibran and Kamila Gibran (Rahmeh). As a young man, Gibran immigrated with his family to the United States, where he studied art and began his literary career, writing in both English and Arabic. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. His romantic style was at the heart of a renaissance in modern Arabic literature, especially prose poetry, breaking away from the classical school. In Lebanon, he is still celebrated as a literary hero.  He is chiefly known in the English-speaking world for his 1923 book The Prophet (Which I have a copy of and love the book!), an early example of inspirational fiction including a series of philosophical essays written in poetic English prose. The book sold well despite a cool critical reception, gaining popularity in the 1930s and again especially in the 1960s counterculture.  Gibran is the third best-selling poet of all time, behind Shakespeare and Laozi.

Quotes:

“Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.”

“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.”

“You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.”


This is for you my friends. 

Namaste,

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment