Tuesday, January 17, 2017

This Week's Word & Thought: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Since yesterday was a national holiday with an emphasis on Dr. King’s accomplishments and that he is also in my top five most respected individuals, I just had to say something.  Probably two of my biggest reasons for my admiration are that he fought for equal rights in general and that he always did so in a peaceful way.  

Was he perfect? No.  Are any of us?  No.  

I have selected some of my favorite sayings from Dr. King that point to his belief in inclusion and the manner in which to succeed is without violence.  I hope you enjoy and they provide you something to ponder.

“Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.”

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

“Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

“Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.”

“I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”


Here is to you and making a difference.


Namaste,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment