Sunday, June 1, 2014

"All great achievements require time." - Maya Angelou

I thought I had something all worked out in my feeble mind to write about today.  It is an important topic, but not one with as uplifting content as I hope this one will be for you.

This past week I had the privilege of participating in graduation celebrations for one of my dearest friends children, who I have come to love and adore very much.  Her eldest just graduated from a very prestigious and tough university.  Her twins, boy and girl (or should I now say young man and young woman), just graduated from high school.  They are remarkable young adults, which is not surprising as she is a remarkable woman.

It also caused me to be the reminiscing dad with thoughts about my sons and how very proud of them I am.  About thoughts of my niece and her accomplishments.  I thought of each of the beautiful women in my sons' lives and how they not only enhance their lives, but mine as well.  I thought about the future for my grandchildren and how with the proper seeds already planted, perhaps they will grow to also help make a difference in the ever changing and sometimes tumultuous world we call home.

At the graduation party, I observed all the family and friends gathered to celebrate not only these three remarkable young adults' achievements, but also to celebrate the journey we were all privileged to take with them.  And, in some small way, maybe even helped them.  I know I have some of the most wonderful friends who have in may cases been surrogate parents to my sons and are as much a part of the family as direct relations.

All of these thought provoking activities caused me to dwell extensively on Ms. Maya Angelou and her passing this last week.  There have been few in our limited and modern history, either man or woman, who so optimized the grace, elegance and beauty of education.  I can read her work and absorb in my brain while the whole time feeling as if she is speaking it to me.  Just me.  Those are powerful words.  Every chance I have gotten to watch her speak online, on television or in a few movies, I always felt as if in the presence of greatness.  She has always made me want to learn and be better than I started.  Better than I was last year.  Better than I was yesterday.

I want to share with you some of her more thought provoking quotes in regards to education, ignorance, change, and just in general, being human.  I encourage you to read her works.  They are remarkable.

"My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy.  That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors."

"Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends."

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

"Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him."

"What is a fear of living? It's being preeminently afraid of dying. It is not doing what you came here to do, out of timidity and spinelessness. The antidote is to take full responsibility for yourself - for the time you take up and the space you occupy. If you don't know what you're here to do, then just do some good."

"The poetry you read has been written for you, each of you - black, white, Hispanic, man, woman, gay, straight."

Thank you Ms. Angelou for teaching me different is ok and education is vital.  I will miss your presence.

Namaste

http://mayaangelou.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment